Well, according to a recent study that researched the most common Google searches for Christmas cocktail recipes in each state this year, Michigan’s most popular cocktail during the holidays this year is officially “Christmas Punch“! If you haven’t tried it yet yourself, then you can definitely still consider yourself a Michiganian, so don’t fret, but if you’re looking to embrace your inner Michigan pride this weekend before Christmas, then maybe making a batch of Christmas Punch is exactly what you need!
How to make the most popular holiday cocktail in Michigan
The perfect thing about Christmas Punch is that it can truly be just about anything you want it to be! You can make it as sweet, strong, fruity, or sour as you’d like! That being said, we did some talking and the Secret Detroit team has come to a consensus about what our perfect big batch Christmas Punch recipe looks like:
- One 2L bottle of Vernors (if you don’t have Vernors any other Ginger soda could do.)
- One bottle of cranberry juice (not the mixed stuff or from concentrate, you want the real deal 100% juice.)
- One bottle of sparkling wine of your choice (we’re split between prosecco and champagne, but both work.)
- One pint of apple cider (if you can manage, getting the real fresh stuff isn’t too difficult around here.)
- Cranberries (ideally fresh but dried works too in a pinch)
- Orange slices
- Rum (dark rum works really well because it tends to have a lot of tasty spices that’ll warm you up!)
- Brandy (Same as the dark rum, a good brandy will mix well with this recipe and the taste is going to be wintery and warming!)
Other top holiday cocktails in Michigan
While Christmas Punch took home the top spot as Michigan’s most popular holiday cocktail this year, several other cocktails rated highly in Michigan and were even the most popular holiday cocktails in a few other states close by. Those included a few that you may guess are iconic to the holidays like eggnog, Wassail, and a poinsettia cocktail, which happened to be the most popular holiday cocktail in the country this year!