Fall is just around the corner…
Though fall may seem far away now, we’ve officially hit the last month of summer! Leave your September to-do list up to us: below are our picks for things to do around Detroit this month.
On September 24, 2021, EDM powerhouse Flosstradamus will be coming to the Aretha Franklin Promenade on the scenic Detroit riverwalk. Alongside it, the show will fature an impressive lineup of DJs including Jubilee, SADRN, WUZZY, Veronica Eileen, and Supply & Demand. Tickets are $25 and on sale now!
2. Attend a beautiful candlelit concert
There are several stunning candlelit concerts scheduled in venues all across Detroit this September, offering an intimate experience and highlighting local musicians. Below are a few standouts to check out.
- On Wednesday, September 15, experience Candlelight: Vivaldi’s Four Seasons in the beautiful Crystal Ballroom of Detroit’s Masonic Temple.
- On Thursday, September 16, Candlelight: Film Scores & Hollywood Epics will fill the Masonic Temple with the music of classics like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter.
- On Tuesday, September 21, Candlelight Jazz will play a tribute to Miles Davis’ Classic Quintets of the 1950s and ’60s in the Masonic Temple.
- On Thursday, September 23, Candlelight Jazz: Tribute to Aretha, Nina and More comes to the beautiful St. Peter and Paul Jesuit Church.
- Finally, grab your tickets in advance to Candlelight Halloween: A Haunted Evening of Classical Compositions! Though the event is on Wednesday, October 13, tickets are on sale now! You won’t want to miss this spooky special edition.
3. Check out the Detroit Month of Design events
Did you know that Detroit is the only US city designated as a UNESCO City of Design? This UN recognition is bestowed on cities that demonstrate a commitment to leveraging creativity as a development tool. Throughout September, Design Core has put on a program of events for both design enthusiasts and the general public. The festival focuses on built environment design, visual communication, and product design. Highlights include an immersive installation by Detroit artist Yazmin Dababneh, which will be on display starting September 10 in the First National Building on Woodward.
4. Have a unique gourmet experience with Dining In The Dark
You can have this unique blindfolded dining experience that psychologists have called an ‘amplified’ way to enjoy your food right here in Detroit! Titillate your senses at Andiamo Detroit Riverfront (tickets are available for Wednesdays throughout September) or the historic Detroit Club (tickets are available for Thursdays throughout September).
The incredible Dino Stroll exhibit is coming to Canterbury Village (just an hour’s drive from Detroit). It’ll run from Thursday, September 2 to Saturday, September 4.
6. Check out local food trucks at Downtown Street Eats at Cadillac Square Park
Every weekday from 11am to 3pm, Downtown Street Eats brings a variety of local food trucks to Cadillac Square Park. Check out the schedule here.
7. Pay a visit to America’s oldest aquarium (hint: it’s right here in Detroit!)
Detroit’s own Belle Isle Aquarium (which recently reopened in July following over a year of renovations) is the oldest in the US! Take a trip to marvel at the historic architecture and brand-new aquatic displays!
8. Discover a new restaurant with Find the Dinner
This premiere culinary experience involves a chauffeur ride to a surprise restaurant in Detroit. There are three tiers of tickets:
- Find the Gourmet includes an appetizer, a main course, a side, a dessert, and a drink.
- Find the Premium includes a welcome cocktail, an appetizer, a main dish, a side, a dessert, and two drinks.
- Find the Deluxe includes a welcome cocktail, an appetizer, a main dish, a side, a dessert, and a wine pairing.
9. Dine and spend a night in luxury with Find the Room
Similar to Find the Dinner, Find the Room is a premier culinary experience with an included surprise meal — but it takes place at a surprise hotel in Detroit! There are four tiers of tickets:
- The Find the Night Experience Pack includes a dinner menu and a one-night stay for two people in a double room on a room-only basis. The dinner menu consists of an appetizer, main dish, side, dessert, and one drink.
- The Find the Comfort Experience Pack includes a dinner menu and a one-night stay for two in a superior double bedroom with breakfast the next day! The dinner menu includes an appetizer, main dish, dessert, and two drinks.
- The Find the Suite Experience Pack includes a dinner menu and a one-night stay for two people in a double room: either a superior deluxe room or a junior suite. Breakfast for two is included. The dinner menu includes a welcome cocktail, appetizer, main dish, side, dessert, and two drinks.
- The Find the Prime Experience includes a dinner menu and a one-night stay for two in a superior room or a private suite, including breakfast for two and bottle of champagne. The dinner menu includes a welcome cocktail, appetizer, main dish, dessert, and wine pairing.
10. Try beer-making with this kit and online class!
Have you ever wanted to brew your own beer but been confused about how to start? This all-in-one kit and class is for you! Each kit contains everything you need to brew your own beer including a fermenter, airlock and plug, thermometer, sanitizer, hops, yeast, and all the rest. Additionally, it includes virtual online instruction on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and weekends so you can learn to brew beer from the comfort of your own home! Grab your tickets here.
11-14. Escape into another world without leaving the state with a day trip!
We’ve compiled four incredible day trip destinations near Detroit that’ll make you feel like you’ve been transported into another world! From the Bavarian town of Frankenmuth to the windmill-filled Holland, you’ll love these city escapes.
15-22. Check out (or just read about) Detroit’s seven most incredible abandoned buildings
Detroit is a city rich with history, from its industrial past to its legacy of music and culture. These seven abandoned buildings—some of which you can safely check out—tell the story of Detroit in a different time.
23-25. Explore the city with a scavenger hunt
Every day from 7am to 10pm, check out the variety of thrilling scavenger hunts on the Let’s Roam app. These virtual scavenger hunts will make you see your city in a whole new light, transforming it into a game board for your discovery! Highlights of the hunts follow:
- The Detroit Scavenger Hunt: Roll Through Motor City highlights important downtown sights like Hart Plaza, Campus Martius Park, and Comerica Park.
- The Detroit Scavenger Hunt: Midtown Groove traverses the buzzing Midtown, stopping at the Majestic Theatre, Public Library, and Museum of Contemporary Art among other landmarks.
- Finally, the Ann Arbor Scavenger Hunt: Ann Arbor Adventure is perfect for students or anyone looking to explore Michigan’s state university. It’ll highlight the Rackham Auditorium, Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum, Michigan Theater, and the Law Quadrangle.
26. Bar crawl like never before with the Detroit Bar Hunt: Get Down in Greektown
This modern spin on the classic bar crawl takes place on the Let’s Roam scavenger app. Complete fun photo and video challenges at bars around the city and compete virtually to be crowned the Bar Hunt Champion!